On Letting Go

1.03.2011

Each time I make something for somebody I hope that they "get it."

I hope that they understand that a handmade gift is a gift of love and a gift of time.

I hope that they see that I strived to make the perfect give just for them.

I really do hope that the recipient "gets it," but I'm not always sure that they do.

Case in point - this Christmas I gave someone a quilt that I had made and while they thanked me and told me that it was beautiful, they never even unfolded the quilt to the look at it.  All night it sat folded up in a box in the corner.  I couldn't help but feel a sense of disappointment at their reaction.  I realize that not everybody is going to jump up and down with excitment when they receive a handmade gift, but I'm pretty sure that there's a small part of me that hopes that that's the reaction that the gift will get (or I hope that they'll atleast unfold it to look at it!).

I'm trying to make my peace with it.

On a more positive note, I have to tell you that I'm one lucky gal because my husband "gets it."  As this person was looking at the quilt I could hear him piping up in the backgroup, "Carolyn picked out all those colors just for you.  Carolyn spent a really long time making that quilt.  Carolyn spent a lot of time in the basement sewing."

I think that definitely counts as Reason Number 2 that I love my husband. 

(Oh, and in case anybody is wondering, my mom was actually very appreciative of her quilt and did not complain once about the size.  Whew!)

5 comments:

  1. OMG! I would have died if someone did that to one of my quilts. How mortifying. Didn't you just want to take it back?!

    I made one for my niece this year and her reaction was perfect! In fact, she is still sending me pictures of her using it in different locations of her house.

    P.S. I love your husband too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I totally feel for you! Last year I lovingly crafted the most darling little shirt for a friend's baby girl and while she seemed quite pleased to receive it, I never once saw the little girl wearing it, nor was it ever mentioned again. And this was a friend who I saw, with her kids, roughly weekly. Like you I decided to 'let it go', although one tiny shirt I'm sure was a lot less work than a whole quilt.
    By the way I love the title of your blog. It's how I feel a lot of the time too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you too. I recently made something for my MIL for her birthday and she didn't seem to like it very much. It's heartbreaking when you spend so much time on something to see it get just "ok'd".

    Thanks for your comment at Stitched in Color today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is that reason of people not "getting it" that I am such a selfish crafter. But it makes me happy that you married a man that does.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is hard to let go! I made a newborn complete outfit that was never used. :( it was one of mybfirst and I spentbtime putting thenoutfit together and making the little shoes!

    ReplyDelete

A comment? For me? You're the best!