Gingham And Pleats And Pockets...Oh My!

9.06.2011

Gingham dress...done!  Boo-yah!

Please notice awesome props - garden hose and dandelions!
That's right, this is obviously some professional photography!
There's not a whole lot to say about this dress that hasn't already been said given that this is my second time making this pattern.  I will say that this time I followed the pattern and interfaced the facings (because that was stupid of me not to do the first time - duh!) and I sewed a half-inch seam when connecting the skirt and bodice pieces in the hopes that the waist on the skirt would hit more at my natural waist (and it worked - hurray!).


Other than those small modifications (and using an invisible zipper rather than a regular one), I pretty much followed the pattern.


I will say that making this version of the dress seemed so much more tedious than the last version.  I remember thinking "uhh, ANOTHER pleat!" several times with this one, whereas with the first one I banged it out in less than 24 hours.


I'm beginning to fear that my garment sewing mojo has taken an extended vacation.  Hopefully it will return sometime soon.  Until then, I'll just use these pictures to tide me over.

Weeds count as flowers, right?
Pattern: Simplicity 2444
Size: Cut out a size 6 for the bodice but graded to a size 8 around the waist.  Cut out a size 8 for the skirt.
Fabric: Organic black and white gingham shirting from Esther's Fabrics

21 comments:

  1. So cute! Those are beautiful yellow flowers, and I love the braid in your hair. I aspire to one day sew cute clothes for myself, you're my hero.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!!! You are one uber-talented garment seamstress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every painfully made pleat paid off! Your dress is absolutely fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing; seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uh, LOVE this dress. It looks fab on you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup. I love this. Can I have one? Gingham is where it is at.

    ReplyDelete
  7. uh... i am in awe of your amazingness! you look like a super model also, just so you know!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is way cute and the gingham really shows off the lines of it. And it has pockets! And I love weed flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this dress - it's a beautiful shape! Love it in the gingham too. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This dress is adorable (and it has pockets!!!) and it looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is amazing!!!! it looks so awesome one you, I want it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous7.9.11

    what a great dress! it's super flattering on you - very nicely done. seems like it'd be easy to throw a cardigan over/tights under and wear all through the fall and winter, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, it looks fantastic! Love your blog, btw... it's always very inspiring to me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is super lovely! I love your sewing mojo…here's to it's return

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ugh. You're making me look bad here. I was supposed to make a dress for "the event" and I had more than a month... well, not so much happenin' here. I just like visiting other blogs that show me finished dresses. Too bad they aren't for sale.

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh man, i love that dress to pieces. you are so good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks fantastic and fits wonderfully! Makes me want to sew a sleeved version now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really think you are a model from the 50's. You need to take up modeling. Really. You do!
    The dress is wonderful. You? Fabulous.
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  19. I totally agree with Lady Cordelia, especially that last photo is amazing! The dress too of course! ;-) Would love to see a giant flower brooch on there to brighten it up a little bit maybe... :-) Love it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your dress is gorgeous! It's got a lovely retro vibe that just feels classy, not costume-y. :)

    I just acquired this pattern, and I was trawling the web looking for inspiration on how to make it up. Thanks so much for blogging about your experience with this pattern: it's really helpful to know what I'm going into (and exciting to realize that this pattern comes with POCKETS.)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a stunning dress!! New follower via Bloglovin' <3 Alex

    tobebeautifulingodseyes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

A comment? For me? You're the best!